BALTIMORE CHAPTER'S HISTORY
The Baltimore Chapter of the Continental Societies, Inc.®, a non-profit, 501(c) (3) tax exempt public service organization is committed to providing services and programs to underserved children and youth.
The mission of the Baltimore Chapter is the implementation of the national programmatic thrust of health, education, employment, recreation, and arts & humanities (HEER+) to meet the needs of children and youth in the Baltimore Metropolitan Community.
In 1955, a small group of young Black women residing in Baltimore City became members of the Continental Society of the Virgin Islands and were sponsored by the Washington, D.C. chapter. The original organization had begun five years earlier in New York when Ms. Marie Poston introduced a “hands-across-the-sea” concept. The Baltimore Chapter’s co-founders Helen Quarles, Helen Gattis, and Lillie Branch, along with charter members Frances Branch, Emily Peck, Margaret Turner, Susan Jones, Margaret Mason, Jean Harris Ashburn, Doris Cole, Frankie Hinchen, Arnetta Lottier, Doreva Stanley, Ethel Saunders, Bernice Watson, and Delores Young made up the 16 members installed. Just one year after its installation, Baltimore, along with sister chapters in Philadelphia, PA, Newport News, VA. and Washington, D.C. withdrew from the national organization to focus on local children’s needs. The Baltimore Chapter became incorporated in ……..